Water is the source of life.From humans to animals, birds, insects, even plants, they also need water to survive. According to the Institute Of Medicine (IOM), 70% of our body weight comes from water. We must drink at least 8 glasses of water in a day according to experts. It is unfortunate that 90% of people are drinking water the wrong way.
What is the need for drinking water in our life?
The role of drinking water in our life is immense. The major purpose of drinking water is maintaining the balance of body fluids in our body. Here I will mention some functions of drinking water in our body.
- Water excretes the waste from our body.
- Water helps in digestion.
- Prevents constipation.
- Regulates the body temperature.
- Helps in brain function.
- Creates mucus and saliva.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Boosts energy.
- Lubricants the joints.
- Helps in nutrient absorption.
How much water does our body require per day?
How much water an individual needs to drink varies, depending on their body types, body weight, physical activities, etc. The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine suggested:
- 15.5 cups (3.7 litres) of fluid consumption is required for males per day.
- 11.5 cups (2.7 litres) of fluid consumption is required for females per day.
Ultimate reasons you are drinking water the wrong way:
As we all know that water is the most essential thing for our health but it is very unfortunate that most of us have been drinking water incorrectly. In this way we are unknowingly causing a lot of damage to our body. It causes many diseases in our body such as migraine, arthritis, indexing, skin problems, hair fall, lethargy, kidney problems.
1.Avoid drinking water after waking up in the morning:
- There are many of us who do not drink water after waking up in the morning. They actually don't know about the benefits of it.
- Drinking water just after waking up increases the metabolism rate, flushes out the waste from the body, and helps in digestion. This helps in weight loss as well.
- Not drinking enough water in the morning leads to indigestion, acidity, bloating, gas, constipation.
- We should all drink at least 1 glass of water (better to have lukewarm water) after waking up in the morning.
Drinking water just before and after the meal:
- Among many people, drinking water just after or before having a meal is the most satisfying factor, but it is very unhealthy for our body.
- When we are eating, our body temperature is increasing and many digestive factors start secreting in our stomach. If we drink water at that time, the water causes difficulties; the water decreases the body temperature, and dilutes the digestive enzymes. This way our body cannot digest food properly and the food rots within the system.
- This may cause bloating, acidity, gas, constipation, etc.
- For all these reasons, we should never drink water 30 minutes before and 45 minutes after having a meal.
Stop drinking water for a long time:
-In our body, water plays a very important role. If we stop drinking water for a long time, it will be a big concern.
- Due to lack of water, your energy level drops, risk of stroke increases, you get headaches. Your kidney will function poorly.
- One should need to drink 8 glasses of water per day.
Drinking water in standing position:
- Most people are used to drinking water while standing. The position in which we are drinking water also affects our body very much.
- When we are standing, our kidneys are not prepared to filter and that's why most of the water excretes from the body. As a result, we go from dehydration.
- Many people do not get any benefit even if they drink a lot of water because the body doesn't accept the water properly.
- We should always sit down and drink water in a relaxed position.
Drinking water while walking or running:
- Another side effect of our today's busy life is some people drinking water while walking or even while running. This makes a huge difference in our health.
- If we drink water while walking or running our muscles and nerves are not relaxing. Our kidneys also can't filter water that time properly. This may cause many difficulties. Our body shunts out all the water and we face dehydration.
- We should sit first and then sip the water.
Chugging a lot of water at once:
- Many times we do not drink water for a long time and suddenly drink a lot of water at once. This is a terrible habit for us.
- When we drink lots of water at once, our body does not support it. Our kidneys function poorly. This may cause swelling, indigestion, acidity, lack of nutrition, dehydration, etc.
- We should always drink water sip by sip slowly.
Drinking chilled water:
-Most of us love to drink chilled water during hot weather. As soon as we come home from work, the first thing we do is open the refrigerator door and pour ice water down our throats.
- This cold water highly harms our body. Drinking chilled water causes sore throat, indigestion, arthritis and decrease in heart rate. It solidifies the fat, shrinks blood vessels.
- Room temperature water or like warm water is best for our health. You can use earthen pots instead of refrigerators.
8. Gulping water too fast:
- Gulping water too fast can cause hyponatremia. Many people are used to this. This may cause serious health issues.
- In this situation, sodium levels of blood become too low. You may face dehydration, indigestion, nausea, headaches, fatigue, etc.
- You should always drink water sip by sip slowly.
9. Drinking water through plastic bottles:
- There are many people who drink water from plastic bottles. This is very bad for our health. This may cause health issues.
- Until a few years ago, bottle manufacturing companies used BPA or bisphenol-A to make plastic bottles. This BPA is a harmful chemical and causes many serious health problems in our body. In 2012 the FDA banned bisphenol-A or BPA.
- BPA free plastic bottles are also harmful to us. Sometimes it also causes endocrine disruption.
- The plastic bottles pollute our environment as well, so we should avoid drinking water from plastic bottles.
10. Drinking water more than our body required:
- I have seen some people who drink lots of water throughout the day just because people say water is very necessary for good health. I agree water is beneficial but anything in excess is not good.
- Our body requires 8 glasses of water per day. If we consume too much water, it causes overhydration; body electrolyte level drops, increasing pressure on kidneys. It leads to liver, kidney and heart problems.
- Better to consume as much water as you need.
11. Eating food instead of water:
- Most people, when they feel thirsty, intake food instead of drinking water. Recent study in journal physiology and behaviour states that 60% of people make the mistake of thinking that those who are thirsty for water are getting hungry. Both thirst and hunger create a light sensation in our body and we react to that.
- Sometimes we don't understand that properly. In this way we intake more calories than we need. As a result of it we face fatigue, indigestion and obesity.
- This time when you feel hungry after just having a meal, you must drink at least 1 glass of water.
12. Avoid to drink water before and after workout:
- Many people avoid drinking water before and after a workout. Some people even come to the gym without a water bottle.
-They don't think that this may lead to several health problems. When you exercise, a lot of water comes out of your body, you sweat a lot. We need to drink water to compensate for that.
- This way the water energizes the body and we can stay hydrated. If we avoid drinking water while exercising, we suffer from dehydration, lack of energy, muscle cramps, fatigue, etc.
- We should always drink water before and after a workout.
13. Add artificial colours:
- Most of the time we add artificial colours to drinking water. Maybe we all love to drink this, but it is not good for our health.
- The type of sugar used in these artificial food colours is not good for our health. The sweetener is 1000 times sweeter than normal sugar.
- When we drink a lot of this type of sweet, the sweet receptors of our body are affected badly. Some people also suffer from allergies, skin problems, etc.
- We should drink various delicious homemade health drinks instead of artificial food colours.
14. Avoid drinking water before going to bed:
- Many people avoid drinking water before going to bed because they have to go to the toilet in the middle of night.
- As a result, their body stays dehydrated all night. This leads to indigestion, skin problems, headaches, kidney and heart problems as well.
- So we should drink water at night.
15. Avoid to drink water in glass:
- Many people avoid drinking water in glass. They use plastic bottles or anything else for drinking.
- If we drink water through a glass, we drink sip by sip and this is very important to our health. When we drink water slowly sip by sip, the saliva mixes with the water and goes to our stomach. Our saliva is basic in nature and the stomach is acidic so, if the saliva enters into the stomach, it neutralizes the acid.
- It prevents indigestion, bloating, gas, acidity and many more.
What is the most beneficial way to drink water?
- To get the most out of water, you drink water in a copper vessel early in the morning. Fill this container with water overnight and drink it just after waking up. Do not pour this water into any other container to drink. Sip this water slowly.
- Copper metal has antibacterial properties in it. When the water is poured in a copper container overnight, some ions of that transfer in the water. Therefore, this water is super beneficial for us.
- It helps in digestion; detoxifies and cleanses the stomach. It has antibacterial properties in it, cures inflammation. It also prevents arthritis, anemia, and brain stroke. Promotes weight loss.
As we told you, water is a very important drink for us and we need to drink enough water to keep our body healthy. We also let you know what harmful things can happen if you drink water incorrectly. Unintentionally, by drinking water the wrong way, we damage our body. Indigestion, gas, bloating, acidity, skin problems, migraine, headaches, kidney and heart problems occur because of this. We should always drink water properly to keep our body healthy.